State Committee Focus
County Council Committee Focus
- Encourage local units to have functioning Health and Safety Committees, and to provide them with the information and resources needed to get started and to operate at their fullest potential
- Keeps membership aware of current issues regarding the health of children
- Informs membership of any changes or additions to the immunization of children
- Provides program ideas and information addressing health and safety issues among youth
- Encourages physical fitness and healthy eating among student and school staff members
- Encourages parents to make their voices heard on concerns regarding school safety and the implementation of safe school plans within all public schools
- Utilize the legislation program to remain up to date with current health and safety issues, communicate changes and work with the community to promote change through the PTA’s legislative process
- Become focused on health issues such as Childhood Obesity, Physical Fitness, Environment, Clean Air, Immunization, Vision Screenings, Tobacco, Second Hand Smoke, Alcohol and School Nursing
- Become focused on safety issues such as Violence, Violent Videos, Gangs, truancy, risky relationships, homelessness, runaways, missing, bus safety, childhood accident prevention, substance abuse, and teenage drivers.
Local Unit Focus
If you do not currently have a Health & Safety Committee within your local PTA unit and would like to learn how to get started, please contact Maria Cox, Chesterfield County Council of PTAs/PTSAs Health & Safety Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your Virginia State PTA Health & Safety Committee Chair, Michelle Prescott at email@example.com.